Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A New Choice

Last year Dale Fisher asked the eighth grade team to participate in a collegial study in which we read Bob Sullo's book "Activating the Desire To Learn". This book was incredible and it was the first time I was introduced to the work of Dr. William Glasser and his "Choice Theory". This theory was developed by Dr. Glasser in the late 90's and he has been involved in schools for over 40 years with remarkable success.

The premise behind choice theory is three fold. First is that we are all motivated by five basic needs: love and belonging, survival, power, freedom and fun. The second is that all behavior is purposeful and chosen to help satisfy our needs at that time. The final premise is that the only person's behavior you can control is your own. No one else can make you feel, act, think or do anything....you always have a choice.

According to both Sullo and Glasser, the cornerstone of all learning is a positive relationship that is need satisfying. Without that, students will seek to fulfill their needs for love and belonging, fun and power in ways that aren't always compatible with a classroom situation. It is also their belief that each and every child can succeed and do quality and competent work in school. Several strategies were outlined in Sullo's book.

After completing the book I asked Dale if I could try some of the strategies and gather data to see if they really did work. He gave me permission and several really positive things came out of my efforts. I was having a bit of a problem with motivating one student in science...he was a good kid, just really unmotivated to do any science work. I sat down and talked with him and found out what he wanted from me. I then told him what I needed from him. Together we worked out what we were both willing to do to get what we wanted and needed. The change was immediate and remarkable. He became the leader of his team in River City. He kept everyone else on task, delegated responsibilities and reported their progress to me. This was a major turn around for the better! It wasn't too long after this that his mom called to thank me. She wasn't sure what I was doing, but she said her son told her he looked forward to science class and that science was his favorite class. What a turn around....

I had also been working with several of our high risk students since the beginning of the year to see if I could help them make their 8th grade year a successful one. They worked on completing all academic work and staying out of trouble in their classes. I spent time everyday and on Saturday mornings developing a positive relationship with these students. I was absolutely amazed at the results. These two students maintained both their grades and positive behavior in their academic classes all three trimesters... I was convinced that Glasser was right on target. The key to learning and success was in positive relationships.

This was a great way for me to end the 2006-2007 school year. I was convinced that Choice Theory could make a huge difference in student motivation, responsibility and success. I wanted to learn more...so Vicki and I asked Dale if we could attend a week long workshop being offered in Chicago during July. He was supportive and together Vicki and I set off for the windy city.

No comments: