Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Reality Check

November 20, 2007

I thought things were going so well in my classroom until yesterday at the end of the day. It had been a long exhausting day and I was rapidly running out of patience and steam. We had discussed the 7 caring habits and agreed that they were worth working on. Not tough I thought. I had been working since July to make them a part of my world.

I had just finished explaining that I would be handing back their chemistry assessment. Many were not quite quality and I had asked questions or made comments on almost all of the papers. I also told them that I wanted them to have a chance to read my comments and questions before I conference with them to talk about their answers so that I could further assess if they understood the chemistry concepts on the assessment. Remember that I have set up my classroom as an A/B , no grade classroom where students need to be proficient and meet the learning targets for each unit I teach. I also re-explained that sometimes it is hard for me to really know if they know without talking with them.

With that said, I began to return papers. The talking started almost immediately. By the time I finished more than one student was complaining loudly. Then it happened...one student yelled I wrote the answer here in the margin! Its not wrong. I replied...I don't remember exactly what you wrote, but I must not have been sure if you really understood the concept if I asked questions about your response. We'll talk about it tomorrow. Of course the eye rolling and huffing followed. No sooner had those words left my mouth than another student yelled Of course I know what conjoined means. I was taken aback. I turned and looked at the student who loudly added "I didn't copy and paste it from the Internet". This was the point where I lost it. Rather than respecting their words, I became defensive, which in turn caused the student to become defensive. Before long I was using the deadly habits with ease to put this student back in their place. It was horrible. Choice Theory went out the window in a blink of the eye....

With 3 minutes left in the class period, I walked out into the hall to speak with students who had come into the doorway earlier to ask me a question. The bell rang while I was still in the hall. They left for the day and I felt absolutely horrible. I looked for the student and caught them just as they were walking out of the wing...they did not wish to speak to me. I couldn't blame them. Had I destroyed the relationship I had with that student? Would I be able to mend it?

Needless to say I had a miserable night. I really felt terrible. I looked for the student as soon as the first bell rang the next morning and asked if they would talk to me. They agreed and we moved into a quiet area. I started out by apologizing for my behavior. I also explained that I thought we both had knee-jerk reactions to each other. He smiled and agreed. I explained that I really didn't want to lose the relationship that we had and that I thought of them as a great student and someone I enjoyed getting to know in class. I then told them what I was willing to do to mend the fence. I asked if there was anything he could do. Happily he reported that he had talked to his dad about it and felt that he could work on being less defensive when I said I didn't understand what was meant in his writing. I ended the conversation by asking if we were still friends...With a smile on his face he said yes.

In the past, I never would have felt bad about dressing down a student. I would have justified it by complaining about their behavior and disrespect. I didn't sleep well and I was really concerned about my relationship with this student. I knew that if I destroyed my relationship, success in my classroom would be fleeting not only for that student, but for all of them that witnessed the meltdown. Respect would be gone. I wasn't willing to let that happen and I was willing to admit that my behavior was out of control and I wasn't driving my own car. Thankfully, I have developed a good relationship with my students through using Choice Theory. Choice Theory allowed me to take the steps necessary to mend the fence not only with the student but with the entire class. It has given me the tools to mend fences rather than burn bridges and perhaps loose a student to defiance, non-learning and misbehavior for the rest of the year.

It isn't always easy to do, but it is definitely worth it. The student was happy and talkative with me today in class. I also saw more work being done than I had in the past few days. I truly believe that success is directly proportional to how well the people involved get along together. Today was a much much better day!!!!

Choice Theory is work and I believe I've come a long way. I have a long way to go, but it is worth my time and effort. It isn't a one day or week idea. I do know that my students are achieving more and I see more learning than I have in the past. It is easy to fall back into old habits, but I know that it is important that I keep on the choice theory path. One day at a time...

5 comments:

tyrone said...

THANK YOU for this post about the setbacks as well as the patience required to change to the choice path. I myself am trying to implement choice, but i Have not used a good plan so far and I am way not patient enough, hoping this must be clear and simple and a one week issue to explain. it is not. I don't know how long it will tak me to become good at teaching choice and for the students to understand and move toward quality and choice / self determination, but I choose to continue to work on it. With the help of you and the choice / radical teaching community.

Keep up your good work in class and continue to help and inspire others to follow ...

tyrone

Anonymous said...

OMG - I am over the moon after finding your blog and reading about your experience using choice theory in your classroom. I'm in my first year of a master's program in education with a desire to teach in urban schools. Ironically, I was looking up articles about the realities of teaching in the Chicago Public Schools and what I was finding was very discouraging and had me second guessing my choice.

But like Oprah says, what I know for sure is that the solution to the problems in the urban community is education, education, and education. My father raised us with the understanding that....

Anonymous said...

"education is the black man's salvation". (Imagine growing up hearing that everyday and not going to college or being a problem child in school)....

I've always known that I wanted to teach & after detour in accounting, I'm back on track. But I want to bring more than just idealism & a big heart to the classroom, which is where choice theory comes in. Three years ago CT saved my life! After 5 yrs in/out of therapy and "brain drugs", it took one reading of Glasser's "Choice Theory: A new psychology of personal freedom" to snap me out of my "depression", dump my therapist & the drugs - and take control of my life and actions! This book has been my bible and CT is my philosophy for life.

I've read every one of his books and am elated that he developed his theory for the classroom too! I think his philosophy can greatly benefit at-risk students which is what I want to bring to black kids in the inner city - the feeling of success, belonging, responsibility for their actions, a love for learning and education as their salvation to breaking the chains of poverty.

Ironically when I told my professor that I wanted to do my first paper on choice theory, he was delighted b/c Dr. Glasser is a personal friend and he admires his work greatly! And I get to present to the class which is full of teachers (hopefully this will get them thinking)....


So thank you, thank you for this blog and to Radical Teaching too!

Marie

Anonymous said...

Tyrone,

Implementing choice theory is not something that happens quickly. I have actually been working on it for a long time, I just didn't know it was choice theory until late last year.

Quality will come as you continue to model it. It will also come when you have a very clear idea of what quality looks like in your classroom and your subject matter.

What plan were you using? If it isn't working, how would you change it? Remember starting small and taking baby steps will lead to better results.

You might want to read Jonathon Irwins book The Classroom of Choice or Activating the Desire to Learn by Bob Sullo to help you keep your focus and patience.

I have every confidence that you will be successful if you keep trying and evaluate what works and what doesn't. Thanks for your interest. Please keep me posted as to how things are going in your classroom. I'm by no means an expert, but I believe that choice theory will bring about positive results.

Kim said...

This is such an awesome example of how easy it is to fall back into old, organized behavior. Kudos to you for being willing to admit what you did and put it in your blog for the whole world to see! What I loved the most is your detailed discussion of what you did to fix things. Relationships, once built, are strong if you take the time to nurture them. Great job!