Monday, October 29, 2007

Assessment For Learning

Assessment Day
October 29, 2007


We have been working on Chemistry for the past 4 weeks in my Science classes. During that time, I have used class meetings to write student friendly learning targets with my students based on the state standards and the learning targets developed by the science team here at North Shore. We also used that time to write understandable definitions for the chemistry vocabulary and divide the big topic up into 4 smaller easier to work with topics. Once that was done, the students began to research their topic, do activities, and work with me to further their understanding of the ideas, concepts and targets for each part of the chemistry unit.

Today my students started the first assessment for learning....They were given 4-6 questions that they need to answer to show understanding on one of 4 chemistry topics. The great thing is, it isn't an all or nothing grade. It is my chance to see what they have learned. They can use each other, me, the computer or even their parents to help then figure out the answers to the problems posed. Once they have that done, they will meet with me and further explain or defend their responses.

As an educator, it was extremely gratifying to walk around my classroom today and hear "chemistry talk" from every group. Students were explaining things to each other and asking each other for help. They were coming to me and asking really good questions to further their understanding. They weren't saying "I don't get it" or "this is too hard". They didn't feel "pressure to get it right" or suffer with a failing grade. This to me was utopia. Students were engaged and learning was occurring. I know what they know and they know what they know.....it was GREAT!!!

My students know that I'm looking for quality and that that doesn't happen instantly. To be good at something you have to be willing to work at getting better. That also means that you have to know what quality looks like. My students seem to have a good handle on that and are willing to work at getting to the point where not only do I know they have done quality work, but they know it too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like what a good Choice Theory classroom would look like in my Quality World. Keep up the challenging yet rewarding work.

-Dale

Kim said...

Wow, Denise. Isn't this what it's all about? It sounds so great to have your students really engaged in the learning. Do you have any "at-risk" students in your room who typically have difficulty learning? If so, how are they doing?

New Wave Science said...

Yes, I do have at risk students. Those are the students I enjoy working with the most. They so rarely feel success. My class and my relationship with them, my determination to not let them fail or take the easy way out allows them to feel successful. It doesn't happen with all at risk students, but it happens with some and that is so rewarding.