Monday, January 28, 2008

Choices

As my students and I begin our next topic of study, I still have some students who haven't demonstrated understanding of the first topic which puts me in a rather tough spot...sort of caught between a rock and a hard place. I believe that each child needs to demonstrate understanding, however, by having them continue to work on the first topic they miss all the instruction on the second. This would ultimately put them even further behind which would lead them to take school, particularly my class out of their quality world picture. I don't want this for my students but I'm not able to control the choices they make. I can only continue to encourage them to talk with me, develop a plan and help them achieve the goal. I also made the decision that I would encourage them to come in before or after school to get more help if they needed it. When I introduce new concepts or ideas they are a part of the class. When we are working on projects, I pull them together and continue to work on chemistry. Don't know if this will work out, but at least I don't feel like I'm helping them dig their holes any deeper.

I was working with one student recently and I was sure that this particular student really didn't know much of the chemistry we had been studying so I threw him this question....What have you learned about matter and chemistry? I was absolutely amazed at his knowledge. He not only demonstrated understanding of the learning targets, he also had explored some areas that interested him. After he finished I asked why he had waited so long to show me he understood. His reply was simply I wasn't ready until now and I wanted to be sure I really could explain it before I talked with you. I also don't like to write so I procrastinated on the writing part. Did he learn the material, yes. Did he put the effort in that I felt he needed to, not always. Ultimately he learned and that's what its all about.

I had another student that was struggling with the lab report that went along with the chemistry unit. I worked with him during several lunch periods and he was much more confident that he could and would get it done. With progress reports due, I asked him this morning how he was coming with his report. He said he was almost done, but really didn't want to rush through it and not give it his best effort. I asked him if he wanted me to go ahead and give him a B knowing that he would turn the lab in by the end of the week or if I should give him no grade and wait for him to finish. He chose the no grade option. When I asked why he simply said I want to do my best and learn from it so my next one will be better still. If I take the B now, I don't think I'll put as much effort into finishing this one.

Amazing. In both cases they chose to do their best rather than the easier way. I wonder where they would be in a more traditional classroom. Would they value quality or would they do it just to get it done and for a "grade"?

1 comment:

Kim said...

That is so encouraging. You are doing a great job and so are they!