Thursday, January 24, 2008

Frustrations

Being a pioneer isn't always easy and sometimes its downright frustrating. This is one of those times for me.

The middle of the second trimester is upon us and I have 15 students who will be receiving no grade. They have not demonstrated understanding of the chemistry and scientific method learning targets which were the focus of our work since December. This is an increase of 10 students from the end of the first trimester. I feel like I've failed them somehow. Yes, I know that it was their choice to complete the work or not complete the work, but I keep wondering if there wasn't something more I could have done.

The second source of frustration comes in not letting those students go on until they have "mastered" the chemistry and scientific method targets. On Monday we began our next unit of study with a video. Those 15 students who weren't ready went and worked in another area while the others watched the video. Tuesday, we watched the end of the video and I began introducing the vocabulary. On Tuesday, I brought the 15 back into the room when discussing the vocabulary. I didn't want that hole they dug to get even deeper. Glasser would say that they need to finish the first before going on, but that's really hard for me. I guess I saw the missing of the video as a sort of compromise.

I had all the students in on the introduction of the cell structures and functions which took us through Wednesday. Once they were done, I again separated the groups. Those that were finished were able to work on their cell structure project. The others worked with me or independently to finish the chemistry targets. This was the same plan for Thursday. I also had several of them in at lunch to get more help. My frustration comes in when I know that they need to master the chemistry, but missing out on instruction just puts them further behind and I worry that they may just simply stop trying because they don't see any way of completing everything. As part of a K-8 school district, I'm not sure how the no grade will be handled by the high school. Will they accept the students without science grades? If they do that, what message will the students here get and how will that impact my quest for a quality school?

I know that it was their choice to waste class time chatting, but I don't know how to get science into their quality world so they make better choices. I believe I have a good relationship with my students, but something is obviously missing. I haven't given up. I continue to ask them to come in before or after school, they have written plans for completion, and I encourage them to demonstrate their understanding all the time, but again I ask is it enough?

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm sorry i didn't see this post sooner. Have you assessed the four areas? Do they know what they need to do? Do they know how to do it? Do they want to do it? And is the environment conducive to their learning? Assess those areas with each student and that should help determine your course of action. Come back and we can discuss it further.