Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year

Learning or Schooling

It has been a very interesting start to the 2007-2008 school year. I find that I am less stressed and more concerned about my students doing quality work rather than completing homework assignments and projects. I believe this is a good change, but I know that not everyone agrees with that philosophy.

Over the holiday break I had the opportunity to spend time with my sister and her family. After dinner one night we got to talking about school. My two nieces are 16 and 13 and both are relatively good students. The younger of the two was talking about a recent assignment that she had worked on on volcanoes. In the span of three minutes she referred to getting a "grade for the grade book" 5 times. I finally asked if that was the only reason she did the work, was for a grade in the "grade book". No surprise when she said yes. I asked her what she could tell me about what makes a volcano erupt. Her reply was also not surprising...she said "well I know it has something to do with molten rock" My next question to her was "So what does the grade in the grade book really mean?" What did you actually learn? I have to admit that I was deeply saddened that neither one of them saw learning as fun or worthwhile. It was just for a grade in the grade book.

This led to a heated discussion among the adult of the importance of grades. I was in a minority when I said grades were not really that important since an A for one person may look very different than an A for another. Often times in our school systems student learning is not really a factor in the grade. Grades are based on completing homework, projects, or other daily assignments and not on real learning. My niece happily admitted that her science grade was based on the projects that she has done, not really on what she has learned. She was quite happy that she could do poorly on a test and still get an A or B in the class just by doing the project or homework. I again asked her what she had learned.

Her older sister was really excited about what I was saying. Several times during the conversation this high school sophomore said she would love to be in my class. She has seen several classmates get passing grades just because they do the homework. They can't apply what they have learned, yet they get passing grades. She didn't think that was really fair.

The adults in the conversation felt I was doing my students a huge disservice and not really giving them a good education. I asked what they thought a "good education" looked like. I really didn't get a solid answer, but I definitely got the impression that they felt I should spend my class time teaching students to memorize the periodic table of elements, the names of the bones in the human body and the classification system for living things. I asked why? Because that is what they have to know on tests. I responded that may be true of some teacher made tests, but if they needed to know what Au stood for, how would they find out. They all responded that they would go to the internet. My next question was, wouldn't you rather students were taught how to solve problems, apply knowledge to new situations, and reason things out rather than to memorize useless information for a teacher made test and forget it as soon as the test was done?

While they did agree with that, they still felt that it was imperative that students learn basic information. I agree completely. They also need to learn that the "grade" isn't the end product. Learning is. Each student has the choice to learn or not, to do work for the reward of a "grade" or not. How can we move students from the "grade" mentality to learning for learning? I often wonder what will happen to those students who consistently say "just tell me what to do" when they get out into the real world where it is up to them to know what to do and when to do it. What will happen when they look at their boss who has just outlined a project that they are to be responsible for completing and they say "just tell me what to do"?

1 comment:

Kim said...

I think this happens a lot. There are some who have been so conditioned with external reinforcement that they don't know what to do without it. The way is to help the students put learning back into their Quality World by building strong relationships and modeling. They can rediscover the internal motivation of learning for learning's sake.